Weekly Dispatch: May 26, 2022

May 26, 2022


Hurricane season starts next week: ‘Above-normal’ hurricane season predicted—is your agency ready?

Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, are predicting above-average hurricane activity this year—which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to Nov. 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). To keep up with the season, check out PIA’s Hurricane Info Central, which has resources to help your clients and your agency during the hurricane season. If you’d like to send customized materials to your clients, email PIA’s Design & Print Account Manager Calley Rupp.

Professionals looking to start their second career—be an advocate for the insurance industry

Do you know someone who is looking to start his or her second career? Have you encouraged the person to consider a position in the insurance industry? You know there are myriad reasons why a career in insurance is a good career move—and you can be an advocate for the industry. PIA Northeast also offers members access to its Steps to Success tool kit, which assists members with their business-building needs. And, if you are looking for more information about the future of insurance professionals, how to create a positive workplace culture, and how to encourage people to join the insurance industry, see the upcoming July/August issue of PIA Magazine.

Study: Average age of vehicles increases to 12.2 years

In the U.S., the average age of light vehicles in operation rose to 12.2 years this year—increasing by nearly two months over the prior year—according to new research from S&P Global Mobility. This is the fifth straight year the average vehicle age has risen in the U.S. This year’s average age marks another all-time high for the average age even as the vehicle fleet recovered, growing by 3.5 million units in the past year.

N.H.: One last push before the session ends

The 2021-22 legislative session in New Hampshire is wrapping up as the House and Senate are set to complete all their work by today. The Legislature just completed the committee of conference phase, which is when committees made up of four House members and three senators get together to try to work out their differences one last time. Some of PIANH’s legislative priorities that were being addressed at the end of the session include auto dealers and insurance coverage, waivers of deductibles, and insurance adjuster licensing, fees.

NJYIP president named 2022 PIA National YIP of the Year

NJYIP President Alyssa Delaney, director of marketing and communications for Agency Network Exchange LLC of Monmouth Junction, N.J., was named the 2022 National Young Insurance Professional of the Year. “Alyssa has been a member of the New Jersey Young Insurance Professionals from 2017 to the present and has served as the group’s treasurer, first vice president and president,” said PIA National President-elect Gerald F. Hemphill, chair of the awards task force. The PIA National Young Insurance Professional of the Year award recognizes outstanding achievement by a young insurance professional. Delaney was named president of the NJYIP in 2021.


N.Y.: End-of-session advocacy

As the New York state legislative session draws to a close next Thursday, PIANY is pushing for two priority bills to pass the state Senate, so they can be sent to the governor’s desk this year. S.6407-B/A.950-C would standardize the windstorm definition in homeowners policies, and S.6028/A.6877 would allow carriers the option to waive photo inspections for automobiles. Both bills have passed the state Assembly, so the Senate is their last hurdle out of the Legislature. It only takes two minutes to send your state senator a message urging him or her to support standardizing the windstorm definition and giving insurance carriers the flexibility to decide when they need photo inspections.

N.Y.: State primaries update: What’s the date?

Agents Advocacy Coalition is your go-to source for all things New York politics, including updates about our state primaries this summer. Right now: The primaries for statewide offices (including governor) and the state Assembly are scheduled for Tuesday, June 28, 2022. What happened to the state Senate and Congress? The New York state Court of Appeals threw out the Senate and congressional maps because how they were drawn violated the New York state constitution. Thus, the state Senate and congressional primaries were moved to Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2022. The state Assembly maps are being challenged in court, but so far they have been upheld. If things change for the state Assembly and statewide races, AAC will be sure to update all PIANY members. If you are looking to register to vote or find your polling place, visit the Election Info section of the AAC website. For more on early voting and absentee balloting, read Absentee voting, a how to. If you want to find your new district, you can search by your address.


NCCI issues report on annual insights

The National Council on Compensation Insurance has released its Annual Insights Symposium Highlights Report. You can access key insights, presentations, and videos that detail the current state of the workers’ compensation industry, including: the State of the Line Report; Workers’ Compensation Catastrophes: Past, Present, and Future; The Great Reshuffle in Labor Markets; Top 5 Ways COVID Changed the Economics of Workers’ Compensation–For Better or Worse; and Human Factors–Expanding the Science of Predictive Analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI).

Educating insurance agents

N.Y.: New classes that meet the New York State Department of Financial Services’ new CE requirements are available online and in private on-site sessions.


Futurist to offer industry insight at PIA Annual Conference

Last chance to save 20% on registration: PIA Annual Conference hosted by PIANJ and PIANY will be held June 12-14, 2022, live at the Hard Rock, Atlantic City, N.J. The future is unpredictable, but Jack Uldrich is a leading futurist and author who can use his foresight to help people better prepare for what the future may bring. He uses transformative principles of unlearning to help people do away with obsolete knowledge and assumptions. His expertise focuses on the future trends in technology, and the changes in management and leadership skills. He will speak during the conference’s Networking Lunch, Monday, June 13, starting at noon. Uldrich shares an overview of his address in this short video. Want to sponsor, exhibit or advertise? See your options here.

Register now

June 12-14, 2022: PIA Annual Conference—Price will increase by 20% after May 27, 2022

Tuesday, June 14, 2022: NJYIP Fun Run

Tuesday, June 21, 2022: CTYIP Golf Open

Thursday, July 14, 2022: PIWA Summer Reception

Monday, Aug. 1, 2022: NY-YIP Golf Open

Monday, Sept. 12, 2022: Save the date: PIANJ Golf Classic

Share This