HARTFORD, Conn.—The Professional Insurance Agents of Connecticut Inc., elected J. Kyle Dougherty, CIC, president during the association’s Annual Convention held March 23-24, 2023, at the Hartford Marriott Downtown. Dougherty is a second-generation president for the association. His father, Maynard “Doc” Dougherty served as president of the association in 1988-89.
As an active member of PIA Connecticut, Dougherty served as president-elect in 2022-23, currently he serves as vice president of the Association Programs Committee, and he is a member of the Executive/Budget & Finance Committee. Dougherty also is a member of the Glenmont National Alliance Committee. This committee manages, conducts and oversees all PIA Glenmont-based education programs conducted under the auspices of The National Alliance for Insurance Education & Research.
Active in his community, Dougherty is a member of the Stratford Chamber of Commerce/Bridgeport Regional Business Council. He also is a member of the Orange Congregational Church, serving on its Board of Deacons from 2013 to 2016 and as chairman in 2016; He also served on its Board of Trustees from 2016-20. Dougherty is a member of America St. John’s Lodge #8 AFAM. Additionally, he is a member of the Pyramid Temple Pipes and Drums (bagpiper), serving as secretary in 2012-16 and as president from 2016-18, and again in 2022.
Other officers elected
The association also elected a full slate of officers during the Annual Business Meeting. Following are the new officers who will lead PIACT in 2023-24:
- President: J. Kyle Dougherty, CIC, of Orange, Conn. Dougherty is president of Dougherty Insurance Agency Inc., in Stratford, Conn.
- President-elect: Nicholas Ruickoldt, CPIA, of West Haven Conn. Ruickoldt is a broker for The Russell Insurance Agency in Southport, Conn.
- Vice president: Kevin McKiernan, CIC, CPIA, of Wilton, Conn. McKiernan is president of Abercrombie, Burns, McKiernan Co., in Darien, Conn.
- Treasurer: Nathan Shippee of Bolton, Conn. Shippee is vice president of sales & marketing for Workers’ Compensation Trust in Wallingford, Conn.
- Secretary: Katie Bailey, ACSR, CLCS, CPIA, of Monroe, Conn. Bailey is an agent with The Russell Agency in Southport, Conn.
- Immediate Past President: Bud O’Neil, CPIA, of Bristol, Conn. O’Neil is a producer with C.V. Mason & Co., in Bristol.
PIA Connecticut is the premier professional association for independent insurance agents, working to advance the needs of its members and be a leading voice in the insurance industry. PIACT agents in the state of Connecticut—providing them with the very best education, information, advocacy, and business tools possible.