PIANY Director of Government & Industry Affairs Bradford J. Lachut, Esq., along with other industry representatives, testified this morning on extreme weather and the resiliency of the property/casualty insurance marketplace. The hearing was jointly hosted by the Assembly standing committees on Insurance and Environmental Conservation.
Throughout his testimony, Lachut highlighted the insurance industry’s concern with extreme weather conditions, and how they have been affecting the insurance consumers and business owners of New York state.
He stressed the importance of:
- Passing legislation (A.2866/S.4199) to create a standard definition of windstorm;
- Encouraging property resiliency activities; and
- Implementing green infrastructure to reduce the stress that is put on water-drainage systems that are not able to keep up with historically high rainfall amounts experienced across the state.
PIA would like to thank Assembly Insurance Committee Chairperson David I. Weprin, D-24, Environmental Conservation Committee Chairperson Assemblywoman Deborah J. Glick, D-66, and the Insurance and Environmental Conservation committee members for the opportunity to testify on this important issue.
Want to get involved?
If you want to get involved with PIANY’s legislative and advocacy work, there are many ways to engage with the association:
- Participate in PIANY’s District Office Visit Program;
- Become a member of Agents Advocacy Coalition; and
- Watch your PIA Northeast publications and PIA Northeast’s social-media channels for important New York updates, and share them with your followers.
Bradford J. Lachut, Esq.
Bradford J. Lachut, Esq., joined PIA as government affairs counsel for the Government & Industry Affairs Department in 2012 and then, after a four-month leave, he returned to the association in 2018 as director of government & industry affairs responsible for all legal, government relations and insurance industry liaison programs for the five state associations. Prior to PIA, Brad worked as an attorney for Steven J. Baum PC, in Amherst, and as an associate attorney for the law office of James Morris in Buffalo. He also spent time serving as senior manager of government affairs as the Buffalo Niagara Partnership, a chamber of commerce serving the Buffalo, N.Y., region, his hometown. He received his juris doctorate from Buffalo Law School and his Bachelor of Science degree in Government and Politics from Utica College, Utica, N.Y. Brad is an active Mason and Shriner.